Your Northeast Ohio lawn and turf is an environmental asset and having crabgrass in your lawn can make that asset look awful, especially in late summer.
What is Crabgrass?
Crabgrass is an annual weed that germinates from seed, grows rapidly, and it’s one of the most troublesome grass weeds in Northeast Ohio lawns. Crabgrass is a warm weather weed that germinates in the spring when your soil starts to warm above 55-60 degrees steady for about a week. It’s an invasive weed that spreads in the summer, looks horrible in the fall, and dies in the winter.
How Do I Get Rid of Crabgrass?
Crabgrass is everywhere in Northeast Ohio but it can be controlled and there are things you can do to control these weeds from taking over your lawn. While the best method of killing crabgrass is through the application of pre-emergent and post-emergent herbicides, here are some things that we recommend:
- Fertilize Your Lawn – lawn fertilization will promote the growth of healthy grass which will crowd out crabgrass.
- Water your lawn Less Frequently – crabgrass is a shallow root weed so when you water your lawn, make sure you don’t do it everyday and when you do water, saturate your lawn so the moisture goes 4-6 inches into the ground. Frequent, shallow watering of your lawn weakens healthy grass roots and provides an ideal environment for crabgrass.
- Hand Pull Crabgrass – pulling these weeds by hand will also help control their growth. Crab grass is easiest to pull after watering because the soil is soft. Since it sprawls out from a central root location, it can be pulled up fairly easily.
- Mow your Lawn ‘HIGH’ - most commonly, we find that people mow their lawns too tight and this allows for the sun to heat the soil and allow for crabgrass growth. When your lawn is mowed at least 3″ it not only roots deeper but it crowds out crab grass.
- Fill bear spots in your lawn – where there’s not a presence of healthy grass to crowd the space of crabgrass, crabgrass will grow. We recommend each fall that you fill the bare spots in your lawn by over-seeding.
We Can Control Your Crabgrass Problem
By far, the easiest method of controlling crabgrass is to simply hire us to do it for you. Not only is it inexpensive, we have the experience, herbicides, and systems in place to kill crabgrass effectively and keep your lawn looking healthy all year round. Our crabgrass control services include:
- Pre-emergent in the Spring – this will kill the crabgrass before it can germinate
- Lawn Fertilization – Late spring and summer fertilization promotes healthy turf while killing off any broadleaf weeds.
- Fall Fertilization and Aeration – this winterizes your Northeast Ohio lawn and promotes better root development.
Contact Us for a free estimate and allow us to control the crabgrass for you. Our average customer pays less than $250 a year for their entire lawn care program which includes crabgrass control, weed control, grub control, and lawn fertilization.